Friday, August 10, 2012

I Will Love You Always (In Honor of My Mother)


The following is what I read at my mother's memorial service on August 9, 2012.

I Will Love You Always

Those were the last words I heard from my mother over my cell phone while I was in Charlotte, NC last Wednesday. We always ended our conversations with, ‘I love you’. This time was different and I knew it.

At first I was in shock and shortly after I got off the phone the tears came. While crying I kept saying to myself, ‘She said she was ready to go’. After a few times of a uttering those words an overwhelming peace filled the room. By the time I received the final call from my brother Danny about her passing, I was happy. I was happy because she is no longer in pain. She is no longer suffering. She is in complete rest and at peace.

Now is the time to celebrate the great life she had. So, from here on out let’s focus on the wonderful memories I know we all have shared with her.

Throughout the years of growing up you take for granted all the wonderful things Mom does for you. Sometimes we don’t realize them until it’s too late. So, I encourage you to appreciate the Mom you have and make her aware of that constantly because we owe them our lives.

For me my mother was my:

Personal Physician: When I was just a little guy, if I had a boo-boo or owwie, who do you think I ran to while screaming in pain? Mom, she always knew what to do. It was like she had a PhD in medicine. Usually her go to cure was only a band-aide and a kiss to make it all feel better. Those kisses were magical weren’t they? It didn’t matter how severe the boo-boo, after that kiss, I was back out playing like nothing happened.

Teacher: As I grew with age and my level of mischief she became my teacher. Her favorite tool was a big wooden spoon. When I was smaller it would sting and I would stop doing whatever I was doing wrong. But when I became bigger, let’s just say I could have probably built a log cabin with all those broken spoons.

Say what you will about how parents discipline children. Back then I hated those wooden spoons. But now I appreciate them because through those spoons my mother taught me the difference between right and wrong. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Personal Five Star Chef: are you kidding? I didn’t get this size because of any other reason. Everything mom cooked was delicious, even if it wasn’t our favorite dish, it still was the best. She would always make my favorite for my birthday, usually chicken enchiladas, for those who are keeping score.

Cheerleader: Every baseball game I played, she was there cheering me on. I know because you could hear her yell over all the other parents in the stands. Or she would ring her cow bell, just to kick it up a notch. I loved that about her.

Last but not Least…

Counselor: Later on in life, even after I grew up, got married, moved away and then divorced, I still needed my Mommy. Especially when times were really hard, she was a phone call away. She always knew what to say to calm me down.

What do all of these things have in common? They all are grounded in Love. Sometimes it doesn’t have to be said. But if you really pay attention to the real meaning of her actions you will know in your heart, she loves you.

My mom had a fun life. She loved her family, her friends and neighbors. Most of all she loved life.

It’s amazing to see how much she is reflected in my life today. I could go on and on and brag about how wonderful I turned out, but the point is she helped mold me into who I am today. A lot of my personal traits came from my mother. Even down to my passion and career. It hit me just a few days ago. We were going through piles and piles of pictures to choose which ones we wanted to share with everyone. I realized mom loved to take pictures. For those of you who don’t know, that’s what I do for a living. Coincidence, I think not.

For all of those things and many more of which I haven’t the space to list, I will love you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment