Thursday, September 5, 2013

Today



Today I decided to eat lunch at a certain well known buffet restaurant. Normally I don’t condone buffets because they are usually the worst quality of food next to cheap fast food. Since I had a hankering I figured this once wouldn’t hurt. Looking back I realized I wouldn’t be sharing this with you if I had not pursued to quench the craving my hungry stomach called out for. Looking forward I am amazed sometimes what runs through my mind while I’m just sitting in a restaurant booth consuming some low quality food material.

As I’m partaking of today’s lunch an elderly couple walked in and sat in the booth across from mine. Normally this wouldn’t have caught my eye and I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. The elderly man in this couple was a little different. This man was really tall and walked very slowly with his head tilted extremely down to his right side. He never lifted his head due to his neck being in a frozen like state.

I began to feel bad for this older gentleman as he struggled to do anything. While his wife went to the buffet to fill her plate he stayed standing at the table. I couldn’t help myself to continue to look over there as he dug into the backpack his wife carried in for him. What was he looking for? I had no idea. Eventually, after a few minutes, a roll of paper towels emerged and he laid out a couple pieces on the table in front of him. Of course my brain didn’t understand why he needed paper towels from home when there are plenty of napkins provided.

When his wife returned with her plate of food he mumbled something to her and she responded with, ‘It’s in the other pocket. Did you look in there?’ He then unzipped the other pocket to look for this mysterious item. I still don’t know what it was because I was trying to mind my own business and went to get my own plate of food. Upon returning to my table he was preparing to go to the buffet himself.

Now, you may want to know what the mysterious item he looked for was. Part of me did too, but that is not what the lesson or topic of discussion for today. After feeling bad for him for a little while I looked at his wife while she sat at the table alone. She did not look happy at all. She seemed very tired and worn out from her long life. How long has she had to take care of the man she loves? Whether it has been a few years or most of their married life, she has done it and probably has not complained at all. This is her life, she has learned to accept it and continue on. 

Continuing on? Why do we do it? What is it about today that makes us want to jump out of bed and take on what the day has in store? Sometimes the day holds blessings and wonderment. Other days, they hold a fist to punch you in the face and sometimes repeatedly until you just give up. Lately I have felt more of the latter and very few of the former. Some days I feel like I’m constantly ducking from the flying fists. Yet, society tells me I need to keep smiling.

Well sir, that’s just a negative attitude you have there. You should think more positive and those bad things in your life will change. Do you really believe that? If you just think positively, good things will happen to you and your days will be filled with sunshine and prizes. To me that is just not reality. Reality is filled with rainy days and losers. That’s what we are forced to live with sometimes. For every winner there are many losers who tried, like the winner, but wasn’t at the right place at the right time with the right attitude.

Now, back to our elderly couple you read about a couple paragraphs ago. I can understand the wife’s position because she has chosen to live this life with her husband due to love. Only love can take away anything negative in that scenario. If she really didn’t love him, technically she could just up and leave at any moment. But love keeps her in the seat across him and his crooked neck. For better or worse, right?

If I were the elderly man with a neck like that and slow motor skills, my patience level would be as minimal as the measurements allow. However, his patience level must be off the charts. He has learned to take his time with every movement, partly because he was forced to. But the other part, I believe, comes from his natural make up. People are given what the can handle and live with. If the elderly man had my patience level it wouldn’t work and vice versa.

We are made for different reasons in life. Some are meant to be movie stars and models, police men and grocery clerks. The adventure of life is to grow in character while figuring out not what this life has for you but what you have for this life. What is it that makes you, you? I know what makes me, me is totally different than what makes you, you. There are no two people on this planet who are exactly alike. Let that thought soak you for a moment. 

You were put here for a reason and so am I. We were put here together to coexist and learn from one another in order to build our character. When you are losing on a rainy day there is more to be gained than what is staring at you in the face. You have the chance to learn and grow or to ignore and die. Every new day gives you the opportunity of choice. What will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment