Monday, July 23, 2012

Fear Has a Face


I just finished watching a few minutes of the ongoing, continuous pounding in your face media coverage of the idiot shooter at the Batman movie. I could only watch five minutes of it because that’s about the amount of what they all know. He went to court wearing a bullet proof vest underneath his jumpsuit; he colored his hair bright red and looks like he is medicated. That’s all they regurgitated over and over within those five minutes. I wish I had only watched one minute and had the other four back.

At first I wasn’t going to jump on the band wagon of this new found disaster. But, we as a society and as humans really need to check what we are saying and doing. One of the things I’ve heard several people say is, ‘I’m not going to go see the new Batman movie because of the shooting in Colorado’. Really? Do you realize what you are doing? You are giving this idiot dirt bag more power by allowing what he did to evoke more fear into your life. The odds of someone else, just as crazy and stupid as he is, showing up at your local theater toting guns and tear gas are the same odds as lightning striking in the same location twice. It will never happen. We can’t allow terrorists and other idiots who are looking for their fifteen minutes of fame to rule our lives.

I truly feel sorry for the families of the victims and I actually feel sorry for the family of the accused. I wish there was a real solution to ridding the world of this behavior and the painful results it musters. But changing gun laws isn’t the answer. Because think about it. Criminal minded people will get guns or any other weapons no matter what. They aren’t going to start following rules just because you have changed them. That’s their lot in life, to not follow rules.

As far as figuring out a solution to the madness, I’m sorry but I don’t have one. I’m really not that smart. If I was I probably would be off curing cancer or something. But one thing I can do is to offer some words of hopeful comfort because we are all in this together. You can’t go it alone and neither can I. I need you and you need me. Honestly, I believe the more we can hold on to that mentality the less we will have those random, singled out loner types, who want to shoot up a movie theater.

Sometimes fear has a face. Sometimes we should face that fear head on. So, we should do the opposite of what our fear is keeping us from and go to the movies. In a way, when I do that I feel like I am not allowing that killer to win. In my mind, he has lost already. He is entering a world of pain. That ‘medicated’ look he had in the courtroom has nothing to do with drugs. It’s called, shock mixed with a little regret. Causing that amount of pain and suffering has its way of coming around and biting you in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment