Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Movie Biz

What did you do this evening? Thanks for asking. I went to a pizza place near my house for dinner and a couple beers. The event of the evening was Trivia with the topic, 90's Movies. 'Sure, this sounds fun...I'll play,' I said. For those of you who know me, you understand that this is a topic I should do very well with. As I agreed to join the game I was thinking the same thing.

After the first question was read, I knew this was going to be something I would definitely not win, place or even get anywhere close to the podium. But, it was just for fun and I really wasn't doing anything else at the time. It wasn't like my dream girl sat next to me offering to buy me a drink or sweep me off my feet to some private villa in the Fiji Islands. Which I guess this time of year wouldn't be too fun with all the possible hurricanes, tropical depression and what not. 

So, when the trivia host read the third question regarding the movie 'Scream', which I had never seen nor would I watch it if you strapped me to a chair a forced me to. I would close my eyes and hum the entire time. Because I don't waste my time with watching movies of this genre. What, you don't like horror films? I saw all the horror films I needed to see when I was younger and too naive to realize that they are just movies. Once you see one horror film you have seen them all. As an adult, I understand that movies aren't real, let alone the fact that usually there isn't anyone trying to chase me in the dark with a knife or a chainsaw.

Not only did tonight strike a chord with the above subject but with the quality of movies in general and how our society watches what ever pile of celluloid (which is what film is made of, for those of you who don't know) Hollywood squeezes out of the end of the hose that is attached to the factory in Southern California. Most of the movies mentioned in tonight's trivia game were some I have never seen and will never see. But most of my society lives off this stuff. I guess most people need movies as entertainment or something to help get through two more hours of their lives rather than what movies used to be...ART.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment